Gastroscopy done for GERD. Treatment for stuffy nose, fatigue, throat tightness and cough?

Emergency Medicine Specialist
Stuffy nose, fatigue, throat tightness, low energy, head pressure, intermittent cough for 3 years.
It has progressively got worse to the point that it occurs daily now, instead of previously random, then monthly, then weekly.

GP & Public System said GORD/GERD finally got a Gastroscopy and guess what results all come back clear! They are having problems finding what the issue is (or just don't want to follow up as I herd one Doctor Say)
Possible Reason, treatment?
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2013 in GERD
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 2 hours later

Thanks for writing your query.

After reading your post, it seems that you are suffering with upper respiratory tract symptoms. When clinical evaluation reveals normal nasal and respiratory findings and normal investigations including gastroscopy, the cause could be related to undiagnosed factors such as allergies.

I would be like to know if you had undergone a routine nasal examination, complete blood count, absolute eosinophil count, serum IgE level, X-ray (PNS and chest) and throat swabs. If yes, I would like to know the results of these. You may consider the test, if they haven't been done yet.

You should also consider finding a means to avoid allergen and see if you feel better. The common ones being - dust, pollen, perfumes, etc. Skin patch test can help you identify specific allergens. Climate change increases such allergic manifestation. Take adequate protection during weather changes. Antiallergic drugs like fenofexadine and nasal decongestant can control allergic symptoms and so does steam inhalation.

I would suggest you to visit a qualified physician and discuss about this possibility. Further treatment can be planned according to the reports of the aforementioned investigations.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Gastroscopy done for GERD. Treatment for stuffy nose, fatigue, throat tightness and cough? 15 hours later
Thank You,

I have had a Chest X-Ray and that has come back clear (Apparently).

I will get the other tests done ASAP, and get backup to you with a copy of the results. I have requested a PNS X-Ray through two doctors locally, and said its not required without reasoning. So I will see what I can do to get this done. Blood tests should be easy to get done.

Talk soon.
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 4 hours later
Thanks for your response.

Normal Chest X-Ray indicates that your lower respiratory tract is normal.
Please inform about the results of other investigations, so that proper treatment can be planned.