Gastroenteritis, blood sugar low, fasting. Suggestion?

My four month old child been kept in hospital overnight after gastroentiritis as his blood sugar was tested low twice but normal other times
He stopped being sick yesterday after three lots and is alert, normal, feeding well. They have now decided to get him to fast and do tests later today . Please help me understand.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Akshay Joshi 10 hours later

Your child is probably being tested for metabolic problems, that are in-born biochemical errors in our body systems. several such diseases only manifest during such stress, may it be a disease. so better get investigated.

The fasting blood glucose level, which is measured after a fast of 6 to 8 hours, is the most commonly used indication of overall glucose homeostasis( natural balance mechanism ), largely because disturbing events such as food intake are avoided.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.