Gastritis and non-cancerous polyp found in CT scan and colonoscopy. Having stomach pain. On omeprazole. Pelvic CT scan showing mass on the vertebrae

I had a CT scan after a colonoscopy and a throat scope. They showed gastritis and a non-cancerous polyp. The gastritis has woken me up at night with a burning searing pain across my stomach. I was on omeprazole and recently switched to Dexilant. However, the gastroenterologist sent me based on my complaints of pain to have a pelvic and abdomen CT scan. This showed a 1.7 cm mass on the 4th vertebrae and a hetergenous uterus. I am scheduled to have an MRI of the mass and an ultrasound of the pelvic area. I am very frightened. The doctor told me that we needed to rule things out and that we would hope for the best, but he would offer me encouragement if it was the worst. I have high blood pressure and am worried I may end up having a heart attack or stroke over my anxiety. The doctor said not to worry yet, but it is almost 2 weeks before these tests can be completed. There is no history of cancer in my famiy. I did have an adrenalectomy in the mid '80's (I am going to be 66 in two weeks). Bottom rib on right was cut off. Anything?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
A heterogenous echotexture of uterus is not indicative of any pathology. A 1.7 cm mass on the vertebra is most likely to be a swollen lymph node. Such a small lymph node might not be of any significance at all. But to be absolutely sure, further investigations are necessary. Without the investigations it is difficult to guess about the nature of the swelling.
Do not worry. Such a small swelling is more likely to be benign in nature.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.