Gastric sleeve procedure done. Had gallbladder removed. Feeling nausea and vomiting. Diet plan?

I am a cardiac patient who had the gastric sleeve procedure done 4 years ago. I had my gallbladder removed in july 2010. This last year I have suffered severe hypokalemia with 2 recent spikes of hyperkalemia. I was just released from hospital and my abdomen is still swollen , I have continuous vomiting and nauseau and fluctuate in water weight up to 6 or 10 pounds per day. On a recent Cat scan of my kidneys it was noted that I had a hiatal hernia and an enlarged spleen. I am having a terrible time trying to eat the healthiest of foods and canytget into my GI surgeon for a month, is there a diet I can go on, perhaps liquids or babyfoods easy on the stomach to try and get some nutrition in ?
Posted Mon, 4 Mar 2013 in Diet Plans
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later

Continuous nausea and vomiting might warrant a reevaluation by the surgeon to determine the cause. Continues fluid loss in this case is also accompanied by electrolyte loss, and could aggravate the electrolyte imbalance which could be life threatening. Anti hypertensive drugs used in cardiac patients could either lead to hypo or hyperkalemia depending on the case. Diuretics generally cause hypokalemia while angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitors could cause hyperkalemia.

A reevaluation by the surgeon and consequently a cardiologist is fundamental.

You need a diet poor in salt, XXXXXXX in fruits, vegetables and vitamins. In case of confirmed hypokalemia, bananas could be a XXXXXXX natural source.

Your health condition with heart disease history might warrant receiving vaccine shots against pneumococcal pneumonia and hemophilus influenzae. The enlarged kidney needs reevaluation, but be either due to an infection, portal hypertension, or even heart failure. This shall require a good clinical evaluation. You surgeon might actually need to reevaluate you to determine the cause of this vomiting and dehydration.

An intestinal occlusion, either functional or mechanical, post surgical has to be excluded. Left undetected, situations usually worsens, at times quietly, and can be life threatening. Excessive vomiting can actually aggravate hypokalemia and lead to metabolic alkalosis, which if left untreated, could life threatening within a short time.

I would suggest you XXXXXXX your surgeon for a reevaluation and consequently a cardiologist.

I should be most grateful offering any help if need be.
Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.