Gashed thumb with knife, got stitches. Index finger cannot bend, no strength. Remedy?

Nov 2013

I gashed my thumb with a knife got 4 the ER doctor looked at in and said all would be good My index finger next to the thumb will not bend and has little strength ...any ideasq
Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later

Thank you for posting your query.

Based on your symptoms, there is a possibility of minor injury to the nerve or the tendon due to the knife incident. However, it seems to be partial, and it should recover in a few days. Please continue exercising the finger.

The exact degree of nerve or tendon injury can be assessed by clinical examination as well as by doing nerve conduction studies.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist