Gas production after meals, chest pain. What is the reason and remedy for this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, after every meal I am getting gas in the left part of my body and continuously i have to fart if not i have to go to loo then only the gas stops. It travels near chest and little pain comes and goes. what is the reason and remedy for this
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 51 minutes later

Feeling bloated, frequent farting after meals and mild pain in the abdomen after taking meals is most likely due to indigestion and Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disorder. This is a common problem and needs a regular treatment for relief. Stress, anxiety , alcohol, caffeine and smoking are the main culprits and need to be avoided as far as possible.

Some other causative factors are-
1. Overeating.
2. Eating hurriedly without chewing properly.
3. Food allergies like beans, onions, etc.
4. Lack of exercise.
5. Improperly cooked food.

The simple measures that are likely to help you are-
1. Certain foods, such as cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, brussels sprouts and legumes (beans) may worsen bloating and gassiness.
2. Dietary fiber may lessen symptoms. You should drink plenty of water, and avoid soda, which may cause gas and abdominal discomfort.
3. You can use some over the counter drugs like pepto bismol, tums, imodium, entrocalm, etc for symptomatic relief.

Daily exercises along with a low fat diet will help you overcome the problems. Losing weight and keeping your BMI around 25 also helps.

I encourage you to consult a doctor for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications if over the counter medications are not helpful.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Follow-up: Gas production after meals, chest pain. What is the reason and remedy for this? 1 hour later
I did not understand how the reply came from an orthopaedic surgeon for this question which is related to digestion... atleast if it had come from an general doctor it is understandable.. This site seems to be a paid bakwas and not happy with the very general answer which otherwise i could have found it by searching in Internet.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 42 minutes later
You do have a very general problem of indigestion and general problems do have general answers ,till I tried ti answer better.
The opinion we provide is purely based on the history provided by the patient. There is very less scope of giving a specific diagnosis and treatment without an actual examination.
If you wish to have a general physician's specific views you can opt for 'Ask A Specialist' package where a Specialist Physician will answer.
Hope you understand our point of view.