Gas in the stomach, toothache, white tongue, sore throat. Taking prilosec. Does drinking wine cause these symptoms?

Hello my name is XXXXXXX.. About two weeks ago I was drinking a lot of wine .. I notice my stomach started to bother me a lot wit a lot of gas.. So I change some eating habits.. Then a week after I Woke up wih a lot of gas and growling in my stomach and then I notice I started to have a toothache.. Now it's been over a week the tooth pain is gone but now I have a white tongue with a nasty taste in my mouth followed by a sore throat sometimes and it's gets a little horse.. But every morning I still have the nasty taste in my mouth and white tongue.. I started taking Prilosec 4 days ago cause I know I did have a bout of acid reflux before.. But my sleep pattern is all messed up cause tha gas actually wakes me up every morning at 5
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 3 hours later

Your problem lies within your description. You have features consistent with inflammation of the stomach lining and reflux oesophagitis. If you have odd things like wine, coffee, peppermint which can further relax the sphincter between the food pipe and the stomach, the problem aggravates.

You have typical description here, white coating over the tongue, seen in people with severe acid reflux. The acid coats over the tongue and forms a layer reacting to the outer layer of the tongue tissue. Second point is typically more in the morning as the anti gravity (supine) helps the acid reach the mouth. The taste alters.

Prilosec (Omeprazole) is very good drug for Acid reflux, typically taken empty stomach in the morning. Ensure you get the right dosage from the doctor. It generally takes a week to 10 days to show improvement. The course typically lasts for 4 to 6 weeks unless otherwise interrupted by your doctor.

Along with the medication these are the following:
1) No alcohol during the medication period
2) No coffee esp before you go to bed
3) Do not wear tight clothes
4) Avoid chocolate, peppermint, spicy food that relax the Lower sphincter
5) Brush twice a day and scrape the tongue
6) You can keep your head above the body to avoid reflux, two pillows/blocks at the head end of the cot
7) Go to bed early and convert your early morning rise into a positive activity like jogging / cycling.

Please use answer clarification if I had not addressed any issue here, else you can close the discussion and rate the answer.