Gas formation in stomach about thirty minutes post meals. Causes and treatment?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Last few days I seem to have a lot of gas about 30 mins after eating.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 21 minutes later
Hello .

Gas formation after meals resulting in belching, bloating or flatulence may suggest gastrointestinal problems related to indigestion or malabsorption, either due to constipation or liver gall bladder disease or pancreas disorder or acid reflux or even stress induced gastritis.

For coming to a confirmed diagnosis, a detailed evaluation of your signs and symptoms by a physician or gastroenterologist is advisable.

If its not feasible at present, you may try the following for a couple of weeks, but if symptoms persist after that please consult your doctor.

1. Drink plenty of water throughout the day.
2. Avoid certain gas causing foodstuffs like beans or lentils or sprouted pulses, nuts like almonds, cashew etc, processed or canned foods, XXXXXXX fried or oily foods, dairy products.
3. Avoid alcohol ,smoking or excessive coffee.
4. Take five small meals a day instead of two major meals, include more of leafy vegetables and
fruits in your diet.
5. Exercise or atleast do brisk walking for half an hour daily.
6. You may try taking a daily antacid like Pantoprazole or laxative like Digene or Antiflatulent like Neopeptine as per doctor's prescription, if you have associated acidity and constipation.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no further queries.