Gargled with lysol instead of listerine, sore throat. Taking z-pack, vegetable oil, milk. Treatment options?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My mother gargled with lysol multi-cleaner thinking it was listerine. I thought she had a severe sore throat. The clinic gave her a z-pack. I noticed this morning that it was lysol. I've given her a tablespoon of vegetable oil. I was going to give her whole milk. Do I continue with the the z-pack? Is there anything other than the oil and milk?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 2 hours later
Lysol is a phenolic compound which on ingestion or contact with skin can cause a range of symptoms depending upon the severity of poisoning.
When ingested it can cause
– corrosion, pain, nausea, vomiting, sweating, diarrhoea, CNS depression, circulatory and respiratory failure, pulmonary edema, myocardial damage, liver and kidney dysfunction.
But if your mother has had a small amount (as for gargle) then she might just have the gastric irritation effects only .
You have done the right thing by giving vegetable oil as it delays the absorption of lysol from the gut and decreases its systemic effects.
Activated charcoal is another thing which is more effective than oil and usually used in medical emergency room after giving a stomach wash.
As of now you need not give anything other than milk.Just make sure to clean with water if she has had any spillage on skin or clothes .
If she develops any new symptoms like chest pain, vomiting,, breathing difficulty or dizziness then take her to an emergency medical facility.
She can take the z pack an antibiotic (azithromycin) as advised by her doctor for her sore throat.It won't cause any problem but try to delay consuming it for a gap of 3_4 hrs after lysol ingestion.

Hope I have answered your query.