Gangrene. How long will it take to set after inguinal hernia?

May 2013
How long might it take for gangrene to set in on average in hours if I have an inguinal hernia?
Posted Mon, 2 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query,

Inguinal hernia occurs because of protrusion of contents of abdominal cavity through inguinal canal.
It can become strangulated if the blood supply of the sac gets cut-off leading to ischemia.

Strangulation can be noticed if significant pain occurs, contents of the sac becomes irreducible,
Swelling and venous congestion of the contents of the sac will impair arterial supply and leads to formation of gangrene.

The timing of complications is unpredictable, generally it is said that gangrene can occur within 4 to 6 hours after strangulation.

In case of strangulated hernia with gangrene formation immediate surgical intervention is needed.
But in case of minimally symptomatic inguinal hernia watchful waiting is recommended as surgery may lead to post operative pain syndrome.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.