Gamma gt is 50 ALT 45 and AST 42. Could it be indication for being alcoholic?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
My gamma gt is 50 ALT 45 and AST 42. I am 48 years old. Could it be an indication that i could be an alcoholic?
Posted Fri, 24 May 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thank you for your query.
Alcoholism cant be verified just considering laboratoy findings. Alcoholism is in first case psychological disease and it is diagnosed when there are serious problems in your personal and social functioning and it can be evaluated by psychiatrist.
I can tell you following. These findings indicate that there is certain liver damage which is mild and reversible for now. These are really slightly elevated liver enzymes and you dont have to worry. Most common cause of it is alcohol drinking and you should reduce it till your findings improve. It means that you must avoid alcohol completely in next few weeks, then repeat test and if everything is normal you may consumpt it again but moderately.
Also I suggest to do liver ultrasound and viral marker just to be sure that there is no liver fibrosis or sign of cirrhosis but considering AST and ALT it shouldnt be found in your case.
Also for better liver findings you should do exercise, avoid fats and smoking and avoid hepatotoxic drugs.
WIsh you good health. If you have any question I ll be glad to help.
Follow-up: Gamma gt is 50 ALT 45 and AST 42. Could it be indication for being alcoholic? 2 hours later
Dr, those results was done three years ago, two days after my last alcoholic drink. I am 51 years now and haven't touch alcohol since, but I was considering to start drinking moderate again as I have lost many friends after I stopped drinking and it is difficult to make new friends if you dont use alcohol. Your reply to my question made me think twice and I have decided that it could be to risky to try again. I was never addicted to alcohol but binge from time to time. Do you think one can change your drinking habits after three years?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 3 hours later
In this case I am sure that your findings are normal now so you dont have to worry about your liver.
You should be sure that this moderate drinking doesnt become serious drinking, but if you have been able not drink all these years I am sure you can limit yourself on one beer or 0.05 whiskey or 2-3dcl of wine per day. So you can not to drink whole week an then take few beers or a wine on weekend.
This wouldnt cause any damage to your liver and you can enjoy with your friends.
Second option is to drink as much as you want but do liver function tests once in 2 months.
Then you can see what amount of drink has significant effect on your liver.