Gallbladder removed, diarrhea, vomiting, tiredness. Reason?

I had my gallbladder removed last August. I was ok for awhile and now I have diarrhea every day and sometimes vomiting as well. I had an ultrasound but don't have results yet. Should I be going to hospital? I also have not been able to gain weight since surgery last year. It doesn't seem to matter what type of food I eat. I'm tired all the time.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Having diarrhea and vomiting after such a long gap after gall bladder surgery is not likely to be related to surgery. This might be due to a gut infection or gastroenteritis or IBS.The cause definitely needs to be investigated but it is not an emergency.

After gall bladder surgery all the fatty food is restricted. high protein diets are also difficult to digest. Gaining of weight is not only related to diet but also depends on other factors like your basal metabolic rate, daily activity, stress, etc. All the factors need to be considered before suggesting a diet for gaining weight.

You can start taking BRAT diet (i.e, bananas, rice, applesauce, toast) or soft easily digestible semisolid diet. Further, avoid eating any junk food or oily, spicy food, fatty foods, sugary foods, dairy products, caffeine, and alcohol until recovery is complete.

Take a healthy, balanced and nutritious diet consisting more of fruits, salads, soups and raw vegetables (after proper washing). Medicines such as loperamide (Imodium) and bismuth subsalicylate (Pepto-Bismol) can help relieve symptoms but should be taken under medical supervision.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.