Gallbladder removed. Stomach pain, worse after waking up. What can cause this?

Excellent

Question
I had my gallbladder out 15 days ago. I keep getting Charley horse type pain in my right side where gb was. Worse when I wake up in the am. Also still have stomach pain. What can cause this?
Posted Mon, 28 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 2 hours later
Hello

I will try my best to provide you with best possible professional recommendations to your questions.

I think your symptoms are suggestive of postcholecystectomy syndrome, which describes the presence of symptoms after cholecystectomy. It might be continuation of previous symptom or development of new symptoms attributed to gall bladder.

Bile is thought to be the cause of PCS in patients with mild gastroduodenal symptoms or diarrhea. Removal of the reservoir function of the gallbladder alters bile flow and the enterohepatic circulation of bile.

The first problem is continuously increased bile flow into the upper GI tract, which may contribute to esophagitis and gastritis, which presents with pain upper abdomen. The second consequence is related to the lower GI tract, where diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain may result, as the symptoms mentioned by you.

Treatment is symptomatic and decreases with time, antispasmodics, or sedatives for pain and bulking agents for bowel disturbances. Antacids, H2 blockers, or proton pump inhibitors can occasionally provide relief for patients with gastritis symptoms.

I advise you to avoid spicy food for few days and also smoking or drinking if you do. You can take over the counter antispasmodic for pain, and Gastritis, as it may present with symptoms explained by you, antacids will be helpful.

Yet again, I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Hope I have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Follow-up: Gallbladder removed. Stomach pain, worse after waking up. What can cause this? 13 hours later
Can there be a stone in bile duct still?

Answered by Dr. Ashwini Kolur 12 hours later

Good to hear from you.

Sorry for delayed reply.

As you have mentioned gall bladder removed 15 days back only, i think the pain is most likely be due to post-cholecystectomy syndrome.

Even though there are cases where after post-cholecystectomy stones in bile have been seen, but is very less. Surgeons will explore the bile duct before finishing surgery. Retained stone is less likely.

I advice try the conservative measures mentioned above. By week you should be good.

Wish you good health.