Gallbladder removed. Started abdominal pain, got diarrhoea and feeling something struck in throat. What to do?

Gastroenterologist
Question
Had my gallbladder removed 6 months ago because of pain after fatty meals. The other night I had severe abdominal pain right middle, that sent me to the er. Ct scan and ultrasound were negative for anything bilirubin was 1.5 so slightly off. Got diahrrea after the contrast drink that has lasted 4 days got Pepcid drip at the er which did nothing for the pain at the time but haven't had the pain since. Since I have had issues of gas, feeling on mucus stuck in my throat pain that moved to under my belly button. Also have a warm tight sensation below my right shoulder blade. My surgeon is sending me for an mrcp but that's three days away and I still can't eat much then I have gas, burping feeling in my throat.
Posted Sat, 27 Oct 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 3 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your question.

Feeling of something stuck in the throat is called globus and acid reflux disease is one of the causes. Burping again can occur in acid reflux disease.

You can take medications like prilosec for relief of symptoms.

I hope that answers your question.

If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Gallbladder removed. Started abdominal pain, got diarrhoea and feeling something struck in throat. What to do? 16 hours later
What about having the diarrhea for so many days now and still not eating much other than crackers or toast. Trying Pepcid for the other symptoms now.

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 7 hours later
Though diarrhea is expected after gallbladder removal, you have had a short term diarrhea nearly 6 months after the surgery which may not be related to the surgery.
If gastrograffin contrast was used, diarrhea may occur.

Regarding the MRCP that is suggested, it should be done as your bilirubin value is higher than normal and your doctor wants to know whether there are any stones in the common bile duct that is obstructing the flow of bile.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini