Gallbladder removed. Having sharp pain below rib cage. How to cure this?

I had my gallbladder out about three years ago after a severe attack. I recently started having stabbing pains that come and go very quickly on the upper right hand side about two inches below my rib cage. It is not a constant pain but usually when I experience it, it happens on and off all day. The pains only last for a few seconds and then they are gone.
Posted Mon, 27 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Before proceeding ahead,I would want to have some informations from you.
Since when are you having this pain?
Do you feel any nausea or vomiting along with it ?
Do you feel that your symptoms now are mimicking with your symptoms earlier,when you had gall bladder attack?
Any other symptom in particular related to the pain?
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Gallbladder removed. Having sharp pain below rib cage. How to cure this? 20 minutes later
I have been having this pain off and on for about a month but it seems to be occurring more frequently within the past week.

I have had nausea too some extent but no vomiting.

I had severe pain between my shoulder blades when I had the gallbladder attack but it was much more severe. This pain is generally in the same spot on the upper right side if my abdomen,

Other than the pains and a bit of nausea, no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Your symptoms suggest that either there could be some stone in bile duct or there could be a sphincter of oddi dysfunction ( SOD ) or may be some muscular cause.
SOD describes the situation where the sphincter goes into “spasm”, causing temporary back up of biliary and panctreatic juices, resulting in attacks of abdominal pain (or pancreatitis). The pain symptoms are very similar to those caused by bile duct or gallbladder stones. 
SOD most frequently occurs in patients who have previously undergone removal of the gallbladder (cholecystectomy).
Statics show that appox. 20% of people after gall bladder removal get SOD. 
You must get a standard ultrasound abdomen and CT abdomen to exclude any stone.
MRCP and endoscopic ultrasound are much better and more sensitive.
SOD is tested during ERCP by doing doing manometry.
However this facility is present in specialised set up only.
You must consult an experienced gastroenterologist and get yourself thoroughly investigated and managed.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck