Gall stones surgery to be done. Hurting around kidney area. What could be going on?

I have gall stones and will be having surgery in two weeks, but now my left side hurts around my kidney area what could be going on? I am not running a fever just alot of pain
Posted Sat, 28 Jul 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
First of all, I would like to clarify the location of the pain. When you say kidney area, I assume that we are looking around the middle of the lower back. This is where the kidneys are located. Let me know if the pain is located somewhere else.
If the pain indeed is here, then we could be looking at a simple muscle spasm or a kidney stone or an infection. To help me guide you further, please answer the following questions:
a. Do you have any nausea, vomiting, burning while urination or do you need to frequently urinate?
b. Does the pain get aggravated by movement?
c. Have you taken any medication for this?
d. Does the pain travel to some other area?
Awaiting your reply
Follow-up: Gall stones surgery to be done. Hurting around kidney area. What could be going on? 10 minutes later
The pain is on my left side, lower back area, and it comes around to the front. I have had to rounds of medicine to get ride of an UTI no fever just pain.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 22 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
I think we may be looking at a kidney stone or a muscle spasm. You would need an ultrasound and a Xray of the kidney-ureter-bladder region to rule out a stone.
In either case, Tablet Motrin 1 tablet every 6 hours with food should provide relief. Please see your physician and get these investigations done.
Let me know if I can answer any more questions