Gall bladder removed. Sore and swollen testicles. No hernia. Gurgling sound in scrotum. Is it possible that air became trapped in my scrotum?

I had my gallbladder out two weeks ago laparyoscopically. My testicles were very sore post-surgery to the point that they hurt more than the incisions in the recovery room. My surgeon explained that inflation of the abdomen during surgery may explain this. Two days later my right testicle was swollen and I was still sore, so I went to my primary who diagnosed it as epidimytis. Two weeks of levaquin and the swelling has been eliminated, but I am still sore most of the time. The urologist I saw two days ago said there is no hernia or anatomical problem that he could find in the office, although he did note a "gurgling" sound in the scrotum. He has recommended an ultrasound.
Is it possible that air somehow became trapped in my scrotum during/after the surgery? What is this called and what is the treatment regimen?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Testicle Problems
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will provide you with some information and recommendations regarding your concern.

It is not entirely possible for a air to travel into the scrotum after or during a procedure to remove your gallbladder. there are several layers of connective tissue which would not allow any air to travel into that part of the body during the procedure.

What can happen however, is that some of the air that is used to inflate the abdomen can settle in the lower part of the pelvis. This can create the sensation of pain or inflammation in the lower pelvic organs including the scrotum or testicles.

It is possible that you coincidentally had some degree of epididymitis prior to the surgery and it declared itself more prominently over the last several days. Antibiotics are the treatment of choice for this and generally it will resolve very well. You might be experiencing some inflammation related to the epididymitis. This usually takes a couple of weeks to completely resolve. I would consider using some ibuprofen for several days to see if this helps improve your symptoms. I would usually recommend two or three tablets of ibuprofen every eight hours. I would also recommend that you take this with some food to minimize any your Tatian of your stomach.

I can appreciate that you're dealing with some frustrating symptoms but I can sure you that eventually the symptoms should completely resolved. I would expect this to occur within the next two or three weeks.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert