Gall bladder removal,menstruation.Surgery safe?

a friend of mine was turned out of the operating room. because she was menstruating she was going to have her very infected gall bladder removed, .is this a medical fact???
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

I will do my best to provide you with some good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

Regarding the surgery which was scheduled and the fact that she was menstruating the main consideration in the surgical team is maintaining a stable blood account.

As physicians when we think about surgery. We often try to rule out the worst case scenario. The gallbladder surgery is a minor surgery but does carry with it the possible risk of blood box. If she were losing a significant amount of blood via menstruation then this could complicate the surgery and pose a larger risk to the patient.

Unless the surgery is an absolute emergency. This is a reasonable consideration to postpone the surgery until after her period is over.

Thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you found my answer to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga