Gall bladder pain shifted to top of stomach, burping gas. What can give relief ?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Hi I am a 48 year old female which has been having gall bladder pain for the last 2 days. It did improve today and responded to buscopan and panadol, but I notice the pain has now shifted. I am now getting ocasional pain in the middle section now at the top of my stomach, I have also developed burping and gas. I am not having any gall bladder pain at the moment. Is this related or possibly something else going on in my digestive system. I did not eat in the last 24hrs only water because the gall bladder pain was so intense, but I did start on toast for breakfast, and then a pita bread with salad and chicken for lunch and dinner. I don't have a fever.
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 5 hours later

Thank you for writing in.

From your description, it appears that you may be suffering from biliary colic with dyspepsia.

The pain that you have described can have two possible etiologies.

1. Radiating pain of biliary colic itself.
2. Medication induced acid dyspepsia.

In order to confirm the exact cause you need to get yourself investigated.

A CBC (Complete Blood Count), liver function tests and an ultrasound of the abdomen is required.

This will enable specific treatment to be started.

I hope this answers your query. Do write back in case of any clarifications and follow up queries that you may have.

With regards
Follow-up: Gall bladder pain shifted to top of stomach, burping gas. What can give relief ? 13 hours later
Thankyo for your feed back I will follow through on your advice once I return to New Zealand which won't be until next year as we are in working offshore in Canada for 3 months and then Chile later this year.

Do you think the investigations can wait until March of next year.

I am feeling much better today and am off all medication and pain meds. I have started back on a very lite diet little and often. I seem to burping alot at the moment and my bowels are moving regulary.

If you think this needs following up sooner I can organise with our health insurance to take this matter further.

Regards Jackie
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 15 hours later

Thanks for your feedback.

As this was your first episode and if the symptoms are now under control then you have some time. However, if the frequency of symptoms or attacks increases along with escalation of the severity then a prompt work up and diagnosis would be advisable.

I hope this answers your doubt.

Wish you good health.

With regards