Gall bladder infection. Advised Laparoscopic surgery to remove the infected gall bladder. Need suggestions?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Dear Doctor,

Recently my father(AGE 69) got admitted in B M Hospital Mysore due to gall bladder infection for 6 days & got discharged from hospital.

But doctor suggested that he has to go for Laparoscopic surgery to remove the infected gall bladder.

Pls advice the same for the Experienced Surgeon in Mysore for getting Laparoscopic surgery .
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 26 minutes later

I would suggest you continue and complete the course of antibiotics. In addition if your father has co-morbid medical problems, then get them assessed and rectified.

It is safe practice to wait for at least 6 weeks from the acute attack, so as to prevent any surgical complications.

As far as good laparoscopic surgeon at Mysore is concerned, I do not have a personal reference. You can get the procedure done by a competent general surgeon / laparoscopic surgeon. You may consult Dr. Ravindranath at Apollo BGS hospital, Mysore. In case you wish to take an appointment, write to YYYY@YYYY

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other concern.

Wish your father a speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Gall bladder infection. Advised Laparoscopic surgery to remove the infected gall bladder. Need suggestions? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor,

Is it safe fot the human body to remove gall bladder,what are the diet we should maintain after removing the gall bladder
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 30 minutes later
Thanks for writing back.
Yes, it is absolutely safe to remove the gall bladder. For the first few weeks after surgery, the patient should avoid eating fat XXXXXXX foods, at least for 6 months. This would mean avoiding oil, fried food, nuts, all sweets, full fat dairy products and non vegetarian items. Till that time, the gastrointestinal tract gets acclimatised to the diluted bile coming into the intestine intermittently but off and on.
I hope this clarifies your doubts.
With regards.