Gaining weight, have acne, skin blackening, sonography shows follicles with echogenic stroma within ovary

Nephrologist
Question
i have been gaining weight and also have acne and skin blackening.
MY SONOGRAPHY STATES TINY FOLLICLES WITH ECHOGENIC STROMA WITHIN SEEN INVOLVING BOTH OVARIES AND FINDINGS SUGGEST POLYCYSTIC OVARIAN DISEASE
YYYY@YYYY
Posted Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 46 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

Poly cystic ovarian disease is a common disease found in young fertile females. It causes the following issues like

1. Weight gain which is predominantly around your waist and hips
2. Acne, darkening of skin and also excessive facial hair
3. Irregular periods

Treatment is with progesterone which can be given as intermittent therapy to induce periods. To reverse acne and tiny follicles spironolactone can be taken once a day. The weight gain also can be controlled by taking metformin. Please approach an endocrinologist for the same. The results of treatment are good

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further queries

I wish you a speedy recovery