Ask a Urologist   »  

Gaining weight and have strong urine odor. Any suggestion?

I have a strong odor to my urine lately and have been gaining weight rapily in the past few months.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Enrique Molina 1 hour later
I will be happy to try to assist you. The 2 symptoms you mention are likely unrelated.
The strong odor in your urine is most commonly due to lack of good hydration, making urine concentrated and therefore with a strong odor. In females it is also very common to get a weight gain (but much rarer) is that you might be losing protein through your urine, and therefore you get to retain water and get swollen (usually the legs) which makes you gain weight.
If your diet has not changed but you are gaining weight you should definitely be checked for hypothyroidism. This can be easily done with a blood test.
Medication can cause your symptoms as well as a side effect.
Hope that helped. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.