Gaining weight and have fluctuating blood pressure. How to control this?

Hello, my wife who is 53 has always had what we would consider to be LOWER than standard blood pressure. It always varies between 90/64 to a MAXIMUM of 100/70. Could you please explain why this is the case? Her cholesterol and other markers are always normal, though she has gained weight over the years. However, the range of her blood pressure never changes and is usually in the mid 90s/ mid 60s. What are the causes for this, and is there ever any cause for concern for this kind of BP measurement?
And is the fact that she has sinus/ear infections requiring antibiotics ever a concern in terms of resistance over time to antibiotics?
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 46 minutes later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The range of BP you have mentioned is below the proverbial average of 120/80mmHg but it is well above the physiologically required ideal mean arterial pressure of 65 mm Hg. Many normal persons have a BP like that and never suffer any ailment.
Her weight gain is a separate issue and should be controlled with diet control and exercises.
The sinus infection needs judicious antibiotic use, let the clinician decide about the antibiotic whenever necessary. Over use runs a risk of side effects and resistance.
I hope the advise would be informative and useful for you.
Take Care!
Follow-up: Gaining weight and have fluctuating blood pressure. How to control this? 8 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Choudhary. Does this mean that a person in my wife's range of BP would not have any negative effects of a lifetime of such a "low" range, and what factors lead a person to having such numbers instead of numbers at 120/80 and above? Ironically, no one in her immediate family has ever had hypertension, whereas in my own family almost everyone HAS it! Ethnically we are eastern European Jews and her side are all North African Sephardic Jews. But if this has nothing to do with the issue, what causes have been identified whereby some people tend towards hypertension and others not? Is it a matter of measured nitric oxide in the blood? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Ram Choudhary 14 hours later
Welcome to healthcare Magic!
The cause for such a lower range of BP is said to be constitutional that is related to body's make up.
Such range of BP is not known to cause adverse outcome in long run.
This can occur in any ethnicity.
I hope that answers your query.