Gaining weight. Having foul smell and itching around belly button and brown discharge. Any ideas?

May 2013
I have gained over 2/3 stone in a few months. I now have foul smell and itchy around my belly button. I am on the pill the last 3 years but have never gained as much weight before and I am eating the stuff and no change to diet. I used to be 9 stone and now im near 12 stone within 3 months. I have been having heavy brown discharge as a period for the last 2 months. My doctor checked my thyriod levels and they are fine. Any ideas on what it could, be, All the weight gain is around my waist.
Posted Tue, 21 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

because of excessive weight gain and accumulation of fat around the belly button, decreased fresh air supply and moisture can lead to growth of bacteria which may be responsible for your smell and itching around belly button,

because of excessive weight up-regulation of liver metabolism occurs which can lead to decreased contraceptive pill hormonal level in blood leading to breakthrough bleeding that may be responsible for your brownish discharge.

though contraceptive pills can cause weight gain but this much weight gain in short period is rather rare,
as you excluded dietary and thyroid hormones factors,
then other possible causes are hormonal effect like because of excessive cortisol etc that can be because of underlying pathology or stress and strain of life leading to raised levels etc,
so you once consult endocrinologist and undergo ultrasound examination and hormonal levels estimation which will possibly rule out the cause for weight gain and treatment to that can reduce other symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.