Gaining weight. Had colon tumor removed. Suggestions?

Hi, for the last 5 years I am gaining 10 plus pounds. Back in the late 90s I tried FEN FEN. Looking back I was probably within a normal body weight for my height. I have had 2 kids since and stayed relatively thin until 2007. In 2007 I began gaining weight even when exercising and not changing eating habits from before. I have been checked many times for thyroid because thyroid CA runs in the family. THis year I had a colon tumor removed that the Dr said based on the size and type I was very lucky it was not CA. Especially now I can gain a lb a day with little to no change in diet from before. I wondered if hormones can cause my body to do this. I now have gained 50 to 60 lbs since 2007. Please help give me with things I can do or a medication I could take??? I will run the treadmill this am for about a hour this morning which I do most mornings. I can and do over eat at times but Im not inactive.
Posted Fri, 31 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Weight loss is difficult and most persons will find that as they age,they will gain weight.
Change in weight is related to both activity levels and diet. It is actually easier and faster to lose weight by altering your diet than by increasing activity.

Studies have shown that increasing exercise on its will cause little to no change in weight if there is no change in diet. On the other hand a person can lose weight by changing their diet even if there is no increase in activity.

There are hormones that affect weight, some are released by different parts of the intestine and some are released by the fat cells themselves. They have different functions- some work to decrease appetite and weight and others work in the opposite way to cause a person to gain weight. At present there is no specific way to alter them, though some studies have suggested that weight loss actually results in a decrease in the hormones that make the body put on weight.

To lose weight you need to alter your diet, there would be minimal or no loss without it, no matter how much you exercise.

The low carbohydrate diet is associated with faster weight loss.

This involves (1)eliminating juices and sodas and use a lot of water instead, at least 8 glasses.
(2) Eating by time and not by hunger- they normally advise to eat every 2 to 3 hrs to avoid getting very hungry and over eating
(3) Use any amount of protein you want - this would be meat, fish , beans, legumes, tofu, eggs, milk
(4) eliminate or significantly reduce the use of bread/biscuits/ carbohydrate breakfast cereals/rice/pasta/ flour products/potatoes
(5) Use cheese, nuts, sugar free gelatin as snacks
(6) Use one to two cups of broccoli, cauliflower, cole, aspargus XXXXXXX collards, green beans , zucchini or similiar low carbohydrate vegetables a day
(7) Use 1 to 2 cups of leafy salads a day
(8) Use salt because your body will need it

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions