Gaining weight. Family history of diabetes. Urine and stool have unusual sweet aromas. Concerned

I am a 60 year old male vegetarian and try to avoid sugar. Paternal grandfather was type I diabetic. For the last month or so my urine and stool have had unusual sweet aromas. I do 30 min of cardio and 30 min of weight lifting at the gym five times a week. Nevertheless, with no change in diet I have gained about 10 pounds over the last month as well. What gives?
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
Our body weight is determined by the amount of energy that we take in as food and the amount of energy we expend in the activities of our day.
If your weight remains constant, you are probably taking in the same amount of calories that you burn each day. If you're slowly gaining weight over time, it is likely that your caloric intake is greater than the number of calories you burn through your daily activities.
The most effective method for weight loss is reducing the number of calories you consume while increasing the number of calories you burn through physical activity.
For Diabetes i advice you to go for few test like fasting and postprandial blood sugar and the value will be helpful in diagnosing. It will be better if you go for one more test Hb1Ac estimation, it provide information about the last 3 month of your blood sugar.
It would be better if you mention any other symptoms like increased fluid intake. thirst which are the symptoms of Diabetes.
I advice you to see the physician with reports of the test for diagnosis and also for through examination.
Hope I have provided the information you needed.
Wish you good health. Take care.