Gaining weight. Could it be due to birth control?

I feel like I’ve been gaining weight. Could my birth control be to blame?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 11 minutes later
Weight gain has a wide causative factor.Hormonal imbalance is mostly to blame in women. Yes, some birth control pills can cause weight gain. Also test for thyroid dysfunction. Diet and exercise are the best method to control that. Nowadays,low dose pills are in the market in which this side effect is much reduced. It affects various people differently.
Follow-up: Gaining weight. Could it be due to birth control? 32 minutes later
Thanks for the quick response. Could it be my thyroid that is giving me a hormonal imbalance or could it be my pill? I am on Junel FE20, is that considered a low dose pill?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 34 minutes later
Yes,the dose is low compared to the others. Thyroid dysfunction could be an added cause. Get you thyroid function checked. If thats normal,then the weight gain could be due to the birth control. The pill affects patients differently. While some do put on weight,some dont. Added to that,any hormonal problems like PCOS etc,also cause weight gain.