Gaining weight 1 kilo per month. Last month gained 800gms. Consuming mother's milk. Is this okay?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013

Pediatrician
Question
My daughter is 19 months old and her weight is 17 kgs. She is gaining almost 1 kg every month. We have taken weight last month and from yesterday weight check she has gained approximately 800 gms. We are greatly worried and not sure how to control the weight gain. She does not take any junk food and she still consumes monther's milk.
Could you please advise.
Thanks,
XXXXX
Posted Fri, 12 Jul 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 48 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

The upper limit for normal weight in a 19 months old girl is 14 kg (97th percentile) as per CDC growth charts.

What was her birth weight?

What was her weight at the age of 1 year?

Do you have any family history of childhood obesity?

Is she taking bottle feeding in addition to mother's milk?

Excess weight gain around this age may be familial or genetic, due to consumption of excessive milk through bottle, and some hormonal problems like hypothyroidism and adrenal gland problems.

Is she is receiving any top feeds, stop them.

Consult the pediatrician for physical examination to look for any medical problems such as hypothyroidism and cushing syndrome with appropriate investigations.

Some clinical genetic syndromes also present with excess weight gain in children leading to obesity. These syndromes can be ruled out by physical examination by pediatrician with appropriate investigations for genetic study.

First I advise you to consult the pediatrician to conduct a thorough physical examination and to plan appropriate investigations to rule out the underlying medical problems such as endocrinological (hormonal), genetic causes for her excess weight gain.

Thyroid profile test will rule out underlying hypothyroidism which will lead to excess gain in weight.

If there is no any medical cause for her excess weight gain, it may be familial or idiopathic.

In familial or idiopathic overweight the following measures can be taken to decrease her weight.

1.Start good food habits early.

2.Help shape food preferences by offering a variety of healthy food.

3.Encourage her natural tendency to be active and help her build on developing skills.

4. Avoid sweets, cakes, and ghee.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know in the follow up query along the details I have asked.

Regards.

Follow-up: Gaining weight 1 kilo per month. Last month gained 800gms. Consuming mother's milk. Is this okay? 7 minutes later
Her birth weight is 3.2 kgs.
I do not exactly remember her weight at the age of one year. Yes she takes milk apart from mother's milk. We do not give her any ghee or sweet product.
One point to note that she is fully active for the whole day and we do not see any kind of lethargy. Apart from that her height is also greater than other child.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply?
Should we consult a pediatrician or Pediatric Endocrinologist?

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 1 hour later

Thank you for getting back.

If you are giving top milk in addition to mother milk, restrict the amount of top milk.

Give top milk by cup and avoid giving by the bottle.

Bottle feeding is associated with excessive weight gain.

If height is more in comparison to her age children, there might be a similar history of excess weight in the childhood of your family members.

Consult your pediatrician and discuss your concerns about excessive weigh gain, so that he will look into the causes by physical examination ans planning investigations to rule out any underlying medical conditions.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 7 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

I advise you to consult the pediatrician first for the complete review of her complaints, diet history, and preliminary examination.

If necessary, you can ask for a pediatric endocrinologist referral.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any doubts please feel free to get back.

And thank you very much for contacting me on Healthcare Magic.

Best Regards.

Follow-up: Gaining weight 1 kilo per month. Last month gained 800gms. Consuming mother's milk. Is this okay? 1 minute later
Thanks a lot for the guidance. I will continue with that.

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 6 minutes later

Thank you for getting back.

Wish you and your family good health.

If you don't have any clarification, you can close the session and I request you to kindly review and rate my answer in order to improve myself.

Regards.