Gained weight, suffering from gas and abdominal fullness. Cause for bloated feeling. Help?

General Surgeon
I have gained about 25 pounds in the past years, mostly due to overeating in response to my parents aging and poor health. In the past month I have had lots of gas and upper abdominal fullness which gets worse when I eat or drink water. I have normal bowel movements usually everyday. No blood in my stool. No vomiting. No nausia. I have been an ovo lacto vegetarian for the past 30 years (I am 52 now). I eat lots of fruits and vegetables! Been through menopause. I can't point to a specific event in March that cause the fullness/bloated feeling, it just started. I thought it was just gas or gaining so much weight so fast or just being totally stressed out by my parents and my kids. What do you think it is?? Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 38 minutes later
Upper abdominal fullness and gas are due to problems in the organ Stomach. It may be Gastritis/Gastric ulcer.
Another possibility is consult Gastroenterologist and get Upper GI endoscopy and Ultrasound abdomen.
Till then, take Rabeprazole tablet along with Itopride.
Please take frequent small feeds.
Wish you good health