Gained weight in abdomen and hips, discomfort, dark red stools. Have hereditary angioedema. Am i just hypochondriac?

Hi. I'm a 28 year old female... In the last 5 days, I have gained 10lbs in my abdomin and hips, accompanied with some discomfort. This evening I have started passing black/dark red stools, and my abdomin is growing, along with some unfamiliar lower back pain.
I have Hereditary Angioedema(edema presents in my face, tongue and throat), Factor IV Laden, and my kidney's cannot maintain a healthy amount of potassium(2 years ago I almost died, my level was 2.0)...
I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy in October 2011, and I have no appendix/gallbladder... Obviously, I have some health issues...
Please give me some advice. The local ER staff have got to think I'm a crazy hypocondriac, but I have some bizarre/serious issues... So, with this, I'm a little panicked... HELP!!!! Please and thank you!
Posted Sun, 27 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Sudden weight gain with a lower back pain in last 10 days is most likely due to water retention by the body. Renal functions need to be evaluated to find out the cause.
The more concerning symptom is passing of black/ dark red stools.
Generally XXXXXXX red blood can appear if the problem is at the distal end like distal colon, the rectum or anus. The other causes can be higher if the blood leak is more than the digestible amount. In such a case the color of the stool is black tarry stool.

Passing blood in the stools can be due to-
1. Anal fissures- I feel this is most likely. An anal fissure is a crack or tear in the skin of the anal canal. Anal fissures may cause severe periodic pain after defecation but with chronic fissures pain intensity is often less. Hemorrhoids are likely associated.
2. Diverticulosis- Diverticulosis is formation of pouches in the lining of the large intestinal epithelium, due to the weakened areas.
3. Irritable bowel syndrome- IBS can be helped by eating a proper diet and taking medication.
4.Crohn's Disease or UC- These are autoimmune gut disorders. This causes sores in your intestines, stomach, and/or throat which causes blood and mucus in the stool.
Other causes include- Lactose intolerance or gluten sensitivity, intestinal polyps, etc.
You need to consult your gastroenterologist for further investigations like colonoscopy and proper treatment.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.