Gained weight after taking escitalopram 20 mg. Advised duromine. Is it safe to take these drugs together?

Hi ive been taking escitalopram 20 mg for bout 2 years I have gained a lot of weight and have been asked to try duromine . Wanting to know if these 2 drugs are ok to take together
Posted Tue, 16 Oct 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 53 minutes later
Hi and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your question...

Duromine (Phentermine) is a stimulant medication which is used for short-term treatment of obesity. The mechanism of action is by increasing the release of certain neuro-chemicals called 'catecholamines' which in turn supress your appetite and increase your metabolism.

Esctialopram is an 'SSRI' antidepressant which specifically increases the brain levels of a particular neuro-chemical called 'serotonin'

So, there is no direct interaction beween Escitalopram and Duromine - since they act on different neurochemicals in the brain. (There are certain other anti-depressants which act on the same neuro-chemicals as Duromine and hence should not be taken along with it)

However, Duromine has to be used with caution is people who suffer from psychological problems. This is because of two reasons:
1) Duromine can sometimes cause mood changes and increased anxiety or agitation (because it is basically a stimulant medication and can have effects on mood and behaviour)
2) If taken for longer periods, there is a chance of 'dependence' or habituation (again because of its stimulant properties)

So, if you are suffering from an anxiety disorder or are prone to mood fluctuations, then you should be careful about starting Duromine. Even if you decide to take it, you should use it at a low dose and for a short-term, while being watchful for any psychological changes or side effects.

I hope I have clarified your doubt.

Wish you all the best.

- Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist