Gained weight after hysterectomy. Taking phentermine. Help?

I've gained 30 pounds after my hysterectomy one year ago and I'm having trouble losing it. I eat right and exercise. Now I'm taking half a 37.5 pill a day of phentermine. I love it but want to know if its not good for me. I'm healthy no other XXXXXXX issues no high blood pressure in fact usually low but I'm on an antidepressant for my mood. But this pill make me feel great, happy and I have lots of energy. BUT IS IT OK TO TAKE. Please help.
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shruti Rijhwani 48 days later
Dear Madam,

Thank you for posting your query on XXXXXXX

Well looking into your problem I see that that you are having phentermine tablet for losing weight . It is used for losing weight but not generally recommended for this purpose as it has got a lot of side effects.

Only orlistat is currently approved by the FDA for long term use. It acts by reducing intestinal fat absorption by inhibiting pancreatic lipase. If you wish you should preferably take this only when benefits of the treatment outweigh its risks.

I advise you to start doing yoga ans tai chi exercises that help you lose weight and maintain it also .

Wish you good health.

Dr. Shruti