Gained weight. Normal in kids?

Recently my Daughter 12 yrs put on lot of weight abt 7 kilo in 3 months and I don't know if this is normal in kids of her age
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Prasad 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May I know her current weight and height...

Detailed Answer:

Weight changes are concerning. I would like to what her current height and weight are. How has appetite been? Does she have any other medical illness? And is she on any regular medications?

Weight gain can simply be due to improper diet - using calorie XXXXXXX food, lack of physical exercise or due to hormonal disturbance.

Please proved the necessary details and we can discuss further.

Follow-up: Gained weight. Normal in kids? 1 hour later
Her Weight now is 59 and height is 5 Feet recently attained puberty also
Answered by Dr. Prasad 16 hours later
Brief Answer:
Weight gain is normal during puberty...

Detailed Answer:
Apologies for the late reply...

Most girls put on a few extra kilos of weight during puberty. There are various growth spurts that occur under influence of hormones to cause increased weight gain.

I see her overall weight is slightly above the limits. But I wouldn't be worried yet.

Do not push her with diet plans; but restrict her fried foods, chocolates, ice cream, sweets if she takes them in plenty. When she is hungry before regular food timings, encourage her to eat low fat, low sugar foods such as whole fruit and vegetables.

You can monitor her weight changes for the next 6-12 months. If her overall weight is above the normal BMI standard despite low appetite, we can plan further tests.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.