Gained weight. Had hypothyroidism long back, had liposuction for arms.

Question
I am 29 years old. I used to have Hypothyrodism years ago but I was told 5 years ago its normal

now I have gained weight even thought I don't eat much

I even had lipo suction for my arms they are still huge thats really not normal
Posted Sat, 16 Jun 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 13 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
You have forgot to mention your height and weight.
You may need to recheck your thyroid function test because hypothyroidism can occur any time even if it was normal previously. If your present thyroid test is normal, then the weight gain can't be due to hypothyroidism. It would be related to diet, lack of physical activity and genetic factors. Obesity will have to be managed as a separate problem with diet and lifestyle modification and if required drugs. Hypothyroidism alone wouldn't cause the amount of weight gain you seem have put on, but it can be a contributory factor so it needs to be dealt with. Even patients without thyroid problem can be extremely obese.

Shivaprasad

Follow-up: Gained weight. Had hypothyroidism long back, had liposuction for arms. 4 hours later
my weight is 68 kgs and I am 154 cm

since I had hypothyroidism before, could my weight gain a sign that my thyriod level is not normal.

to be honest I havn't checked it for more than 3 years.

is there any safe drugs to use for dieting?

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 7 hours later
Oh you are not too over weight -about 15 kgs more than your ideal body weight.
yes definitely it could be- so you need to recheck thyroid status.
orlistat is a relatively safe drug that can be tried.response though may not be very good. there are other over the counter drugs which may be more effective-but i'm afraid they are associated with some side effects.