Gagging feeling, burping, throat feels full, nausea. Remedy?

I have been woken up with a gagging feeling and that something is caught in my throat. This wakes me out of a sound sleep. I also do a lot of burping and my throat always feels full. A lot of nausea.
Posted Thu, 28 Jun 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Dinesh Kumar Singal 13 hours later
Thanks for providing us an opportunity to help you. Your complaints suggest that you might be having gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD). This is a fairly common problem. Following life style modifications can help you in reducing these symptoms.

1. Keep a gap of about 2 hours between last food intake and going to bed
2. Reduce intake of spicy, oily food, tea, coffee, chocolates, carbonated drinks etc.
3. You can lift head end of the bed by placing small blocks below the head end of bed.
4. Take frequent small meals
5. Avoid smoking

If these measures don't help you, then taking over the counter antacids may help. You can also take Prevacid OTC once daily one hour before breakfast.
If the symptoms persist then you should see your doctor who may prescribe better anti-acid medicines (mainly proton pump inhibitors and prokinetic agents).

In case you have any of the following symptoms in addition to what you have described then you should see your local gastroenterologist at the earliest for further evaluation:

1. Recent onset of these symptoms
2. Loss of weight
3. Feeling of a lump in tummy
4. Weakness or anaemia
5. Black coloured stools or black coloured vomitus
6. Difficulty in swallowing of food
7. If these symptoms keep waking you from sleep too frequently

Hope these suggestions help you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr Dinesh Singal