GIST, tumor of connective tissue, treatment options?

Hi My father got operated for GIST, which was outside the stomach on the wall. It was diagonized to be a low grade cancer[malignant]. The Immunochemistry report says that the neoplastic cells are positive for CD34 C-Kit. Proliferative Marker Ki-67 is low < 2%. I couldnt understand much out of this, is this a to be worried problem? Is this really a cancer of worry? Or a lowgrade which we really need not worry.

The doctor is now suggesting for us to go for a post surgery treatment of giving Imantinib tablet for the next 6 months which is a substitute for chemo. I would like to know if this is mandatory to use this tablet? Also the tablet cost varies from Rs 3000/- to Rs 1000/- Can i get any discount on these medicines any place?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 12 hours later

The biopsy report seems to correlate with GIST, which is a tumor of connective tissue. It has a wide range of behaviour, ranging from near benign to very aggressive.

As the ki-67 for your father is very low, it appears to be 'benign'. In this scenario, further treatment with imatinib is not usually recommended.

However, we need to know the size of the tumor, whether it is completely resected and whether any other lesion remains. It would be nice if you can send me the CT and biopsy reports to my attention at YYYY@YYYY

In case he needs imatinib, I think it can be arranged for free. You can contact Kidwai Memorial Institute at Bangalore for same.

Hope this helps. Should you have any more additional queries, I am be available to address them.