GERD,BP,depression and anxiety. Having colonoscopy and worried about anaesthesia. What is the safety of propofol and drug interaction?

Infertility Specialist
I'm having a colonoscopy on Monday. The nurse anesthetist uses propofol. I'm worried about being completely knocked out. I'm really quite anxious about this to the point of feeling ill now and I'm worried about having a panic attack at the clinic. Normally I would be take the ativan to control the anxiety but I won't be taking my medication the morning of the procedure. I don't want to feel like a fool in front of all those people.

I'd also like your opinion on the safety of propofol and if my medications will cause a problem or interraction. I will not take my medication on the morning of the procedure. I'll be able to take it afterwards. Is any other medication used with propofol for this type of procedure.

I do intend to talk to the nurse that will administer the anesthetic. But I'd like your opinion.

I'm 56 years old, 221lbs, reasonably good health, depression and anxiety are a problem but i'm being treated by a psychiatrist and therapist and making progress.
My conditions
GERD, High BP controlled, severe depression, anxiety disorder
My medications
propranolol la 160mg 1 in morning, ativan 1mg 1 in morning-1 in evening and another if needed, buspirone XXXXXXX 7.5mg 1 in morning 1 in evening, pristiq 100 mg 1 in morning, bupropion xl 300mg 1 in morning, nexium 40mg 1 in the evening, enalapril maleate 20mg 1 in morning 1 in evening, hydrochlorothiazide 25mg 1 in the morning, niaspan 500mg 1 in the morning 1 in the evening
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 3 hours later

Propofol is one of the safe anesthetic agent used all over the world today. I dont see any reason for you to get worried. As far as interactions are concerned, none of your medications are harmful ir interactive. The respiratory effects of propofol are potentiated by other respiratory depressants, including benzodiazepines. Since you are not on benzodiazepines, you wont have adverse effects.

You please convey your list of medications to your anesthetist who might wish to skip morning dose of your drugs.

Let me ressure you propofol is a smooth and advanced anesthetic agent used for small procedure like colonoscopy. Propofol has good safety record and early recovery post operatively. Please be relaxed and go ahead with procedure.

I hope i answered your query. I will be available for any follow up queries you have.