GERD, dandruff, high cholesterol level, done lipid profile test. Risk factors?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Age = 36
Weight = 82
Height = 6 ft

Doctor i have a Reflux problem (GERD). Recently i met a dermatologist for my Dandruff and regarding on this i took Lipid Profile test and i found my cholestrol level was high.
Report Details
Total cholestrol = 243, triglycerides = 163 mg/dl, HDL Cholestrol (direct) = 41 mg/dl, NON HDL Cholestrol = 202 mg/dl, LDL Cholestrol (Direct) = 169 mg/dl.

Please Let me know the risks?
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later

I have read your problem of concern.

How is your blood pressure

Have you been tested for Diabetes

Do you experience shortness of breath, occasional chest pain

You seem to be having abnormal values of your lipids and cholesterol in your blood.

total cholesterol should be less than 200mg/dL
triglycerides should be less than 150mg/dL
LDL should be less than 100mg/dL HDL should be within 40-60mg/dL

In your case, all these values are altered except HDL which is within normal range but still towards lower side.

High LDL, Triglycerides and Cholesterol put you at risk of developing high blood pressure, increased risk of heart attack, increased risk of peripheral vascular disease as well. Usually some patients can have associated high blood glucose and Diabetes as well, so please do get tested.

HDL is known as good cholesterol so having HDL within normal range will protect against getting heart disease.

You need to make changes in diet. Avoid spicy, fatty, oily, fried, junk food. Eat plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables as they are known to remove cholesterol from the body. You can have yoghurt for relief from acidity due to GERD. Also eat 'oily fish' of Sardine, Mackerel, Trout, Anchovy and Hilsa varieties as they are XXXXXXX source of Omega 3 fatty acids which do wonders in reducing Triglycerides and LDL in those who have high values of the same.

Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day atleast as exercise also reduces cholesterol and promotes strong cardiovascular system.

Do get an Electrocardiogram and consult with your Doctor to rule out any possible heart disease if you had/have chest pain. Chest pain can also be caused by GERD, associated with burning sensation in centre of chest, nausea.

You will require Proton pump inhibitor drugs for relief from GERD. Do get required tests like Upper Gastrointestinal Endoscopy to rule out any XXXXXXX changes to the lower part of oesophagus which can occur in GERD.

Avoid lying down immediately after a meal, but rather lie down 2 hours after meal. Till then you may lie at an incline of 45 degrees with head end up.

Stop smoking and drinking alcohol if you do. Avoid coffee and tea as well.

You may need more tests like estimating serum Lipoprotein A, Homocysteine levels, to evaluate risk for cardiovascular disease by your Cardiologist.

Your Doctor will decide whether to put you on cholesterol reducing medication depending on other tests and results of a thorough clinical examination. Till them adjustment in diet and exercise will do wonders in making normal values.

Keep in regular follow up with your Doctor.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: GERD, dandruff, high cholesterol level, done lipid profile test. Risk factors? 45 hours later
Can i go for a diet plan based on my health conditions. If so what i can do for that to get a diet plan from your side
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 11 minutes later

Since you have high lipids and cholesterol, you should try to follow a diet less in carbohydrates and fats but XXXXXXX in proteins and fibre. Avoid adding much sugar in your drinks, as fine sugar is known to increase chance of putting on weight faster. Avoid junk food, fried food, pizzas, colas, pastries at all costs. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. You may have rice once or twice a week instead of chapattis for lunch.

You can try this diet-

Breakfast: Bowl of corn flakes and a glass of fresh fruit juice or you can also have a fruit like orange, XXXXXXX banana instead of fruit juice

Lunch: 2-3 chapattis with vegetable curry, preferably palak, methi, spinach as they are good in lowering cholesterol with a side of chicken dish
Have a fruit salad as well

Tea: You can have total 2 cups of tea or coffee with minimal added sugar in a day
You may have 5-6 biscuits like XXXXXXX or crackers in the evening. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes a day.

Dinner: You may have 2-3 chappatis with curry of your choice preferably with leafy vegetables. Drink a glass of milk with minimal added sugar, only for taste. Also have a small sized banana with it.

Try this diet along with exercise and you will surely lose the excess weight and bad cholesterol and fat.

Always an expert dietitian can assist you at this link, WWW.WWWW.WW