G6PD defficient. Complete bloos transfusion done. Safe to give Ibruphone for headache and fever?

My son aged 20 yrs is G6PD defficient from the childhood.When he was two days old,a complete blood transfusion was done coz of G6pd defficiency which was diagonised just after two days of his birth when suddenly he became anamic as my wife was given Crocin during cygerian .We got him checked at various places i.e at AIIMS,PGI and in BELL VIEW clinic calcutta where the result shows 100% defficient.Since then we have been treating him with home remadies and as Dr O P Ghai suggested during his child hood,we used to give him Ibruphone for the treatment of headache or in fever, Is this medicine safe for him? OR which is the latest safe medicine for the treatment in the case of fever and pain? My son is studying in 3rd yr of his engineering and is far away from us. We stay at Jamshedpur(Jharkhand) and he is studying in Kerla.As a parent we are always worried about him.Kindly suggest us. Best Regards B Chouhan
Posted Mon, 5 Aug 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

There is no specific treatment for G6PD deficiency. Patients should avoid drugs which may cause hemolysis (destruction of blood cells). Ibuprofen is safe in G6PD deficiency. Paracetamol also has only low risk and if the blood smear does not show any evidence of hemolysis, even paracetamol may be given. But as it has been advised against, better to avoid.
I am sure with these precautions he will do just fine. If you need a list of drugs to be avoided I can send that.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further follow-up queries, if any.