Furuncle, cyst inder the skin in pubic area, burning urination. Taken mupirocin. Will it heal?

Question

I am having a very small Boil (Furuncle) for last 3 weeks. It started as a small bean shaped cyst under the skin in the Pubic region. After 3 days, When I pressed it, Pus came out of it. I later went to doctor, who gave me antibiotic for 5 days and mupirocin ointment. The size of the boil since then is the same. There is no head of boil, nor is there any pus. But, since then the boil and the cyst size is the same. t pains very little and only when I sit down or bend. Should I be worrying about it, or should I let it heal itself?
Today I am feeling slight burning sensation in Urine. I don't know if its related. Need advice on it as there are not much good doctors around.

Thanks, XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing in.

I would suggest you to follow your physician's advise and continue with the 5 day course of antibiotics and mupirocin ointment.
After 3 days , try applying hot fomentation on the boil. Maintain good hygiene. Keep the area clean and dry.
After a week, if you still feel there is no improvement, you can visit your doctor. I dont think you need to worry about this. Meanwhile, be patient and give the boil some time to heal.

Burning sensation in urine definitely needs to be evaluated. I dont think its related to the boil you had,
1.Any history of urethral discharge? Any history of urgency,increased frequency of urination, nocturia (Increased frequency of urination at night),intermittent stream of urine ,weak stream, dribbling of urine etc?
2.Any history of fever,back pain or vomiting?
3. Any history of pain in the groin?

Get a urine routine and microscopy done to rule out Urinary tract infection. Meanwhile drink plenty of fluids. Cranberry juice 1 glass daily will also help.

Hope I have answered your question. I would be happy to answer any further queries you might have.

Awaiting your reply,

Have a nice day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Furuncle, cyst inder the skin in pubic area, burning urination. Taken mupirocin. Will it heal? 5 hours later
Hi Doctor,

I have completed the antibiotic course two weeks back. The boil is still there. The boil is not that painful. Even if I touch it I don't feel much pain. But, when I sit or bend, I feel slight pain which radiates to the back. I went to the doctor again 1 weeks, and he just said it'll be fine. I have been using muciporin for 2 weeks now, and boil or whatever it is, is still the same size under the skin and without a head.

Thanks, XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Divya Kuttikrishnan 5 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for the reply.

Do not worry about the boil at this stage. Try applying HOT FOMENTATION twice a day on the boil. Take some hot water in a pan, dip a piece of thick cotton cloth into the hot water, then wring the cloth and apply it intermittently over the boil. Maintain good hygiene. Keep the area clean and dry. Wait and watch for 1 week.

It would be better if you get a urine routine and microscopy done to rule out Meanwhile drink plenty of fluids. Cranberry juice 1 glass daily will also help.

Hope I have answered your question. Do get back to me if you have further queries.

Have a great day.

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan

Follow-up: Furuncle, cyst inder the skin in pubic area, burning urination. Taken mupirocin. Will it heal? 10 hours later
Hi Dr. XXXXXXX
I'll follow ur advice and will get back with results in few days.
Thanks,
Mahesh

Hello XXXXXXX

You are welcome.

Continue with hot fomentation twice a day on the boil for at least 5-7 days.
Heat increases the blood circulation and helps White blood cells to fight the infection and thereby helps in the healing process.

I wish you good and healthy recovery.

If you do not have any further queries, please close this discussion. Any reviews are welcome.

Thank you and bye for now

Dr.Divya Kuttikrishnan