Fullness in chest. Bowel movements help. Why is lower back sore? Scar tissue from prostate surgery the cause?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
I have been experiencing a sort of fullness in my left front chest area just below my rib cage.I feels like there is something there, It feels fuller after I eat, Bowel movements seem to help. It doesn't really hurt, but my lower back on that side is very sore, I have always had back pain and I think the back is from many years of lifting wa too heavy items. Could my back be causng this feeling in my abdomen/chest area?Or could scar tissue from my prostate surgery cause this.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 2 hours later

If the fullness is related to meals it suggests a problem of the stomach. The investigation which could help would be endoscopy. Has the endoscopy report revealed any abnormality? It could be suggestive of advancing GERD with hiatus hernia and esophagitis.

Regarding the back pain, with respect to abdominal organs, pancreatic lesions can cause referred pain to the back. CT of the abdomen will help resolving the back pain issue with regards to the abdomen only.

If it is a spinal cause then MRI would be the investigation of choice. (After ruling out an abdominal cause on CT)

As far as prostate is concerned, spread can occur to the bone especially spine and pelvic bones. This can be picked up by 2 investigations namely a plain x XXXXXXX of the involved spine in case the lesion happens to be advanced. Otherwise if plain X XXXXXXX is normal then a bone scan can be of great assistance.

I hope my answer helps to clear your doubts.

With regards.