Fullness feeling in ear with mild buzzing, pressure radiating from ear to face and nose. Any ideas?

ENT Specialist
Hi, I have had a feeling of slight fullness in my left ear along with a mild buzzing. It is only really noticeable in a quiet setting. I also have a feeling of pressure at times that feels like it is in my ear and moves into the left side of my face and then over the bridge of my nose
to the other side of my face.. It is a strange feeling.I have a history of BPPV in my left ear. I do not have vertigo at the moment but I did have an attack about 6 months ago. . I have seen an ENT specialist. I have had a CAT scan of my brain and sinuses and an MRI. I have had full blood workups. They all came back normal. I had this problem about a year ago and it went away after a few months completely but came back about 4 months go. Any ideas? I will go back to my doctor for a neurology review.
This feeling of pressure in my head is there some days but not there other days. It is never there in the morning when I wake up although the slight buzzing in my ear is there. I also have a noticeable bulge in the vein in my left temple vein recently. My sinuses are all clear although I do have a history of sinusitis and allergies to dust.
Posted Fri, 14 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. Get an Impedance Audiogram (Tympanometry), especially during an episode when you have the feeling of fullness in your left ear.

2. Tinnitus is common. Most people hear it at some point in their lives, more when the surroundings are quiet.

3. Do you have any hearing loss or a fluctuating hearing?

4. Vertigo, fullness, tinnitus along with fluctuating hearing loss would indicate the possibility of Meniere's Disease.

5. BPPV is positional vertigo. Was it left sided? How was it treated? Have your calcium and Vitamin D & B12 levels been checked?

6. The pressure feeling migrating across the face would be a Trigeminal (Fifth Cranial) Nerve neuralgia, possibly secondary to a mild sinus pressure changes. Request your doctor for a trial with an anti-allergic, anti-leukotriene, steroid nasal spray and regular steam inhalation for two weeks. If this makes no difference, i would like to review the images of your Sinus CT. Balloon Sinuplasty is a new option.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.