Fullness, acidity, bloating, pain. Difficulty passing stool. Need opinion

General Surgeon
Hi I have been having problems with my digestion for many years ie main problem difficulty with straining to go and having to sit there and force it out sometimes . Recently in the last year I have had episodes of not going properly for a few days even though I eat a very healthy diet and eat lots to getting that feeling that I can't eat heavy meals as I feel I can't digest them well and I get very uncomfortable with fullness,acid bloating and now pains that feel like wind, then I have to go into the toilet and force myself to go and when I do I go lots but my stools at first are solid and very bulky and then I still feel that I have more to evacuate and when I sit there for another 5 or 10 minutes its as if I've cleared the way and I will go again and this feaces is softer and more normal . When this happens the toilet fills up so much it takes me about 5 or 6 flushes to eventually clear the toilet. I would really like your opinion as this seems to be getting worse
Posted Tue, 9 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 32 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Every person at the age of 50 or older with such symptoms should have colonoscopy performed.
Your symptoms seems to be caused by large intestine disease however it can be also caused by bad diet(fatty foods, lack of fiber XXXXXXX products), medicines (antidepresants, Ca-blockers), thyroid disease.
As such symptoms are quite characteristic also for colon cancer, and the risk of colon cancer significantly rises with age (is much higher in the age of 50), this is the first thing which should be ruled out. Other reasons can be considered only after colonoscopy.
Some other symptoms which can be present due to large intestine disease are blood in stool, weight loss, abdominal pain.

Please do not neglect your symptoms and visit your doctor for colonoscopy.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Follow-up: Fullness, acidity, bloating, pain. Difficulty passing stool. Need opinion 16 hours later
I would just like to add that last month after ongoing indigestion the middle of my stomach in the navel area it felt liks that there was a knot there and it felt rock hard so I kept massaging my stomach and eventually when I went to the toilet it left but my whole stomach area internally felt tender for a day as if it was slightly traumatised
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 4 hours later

This episode should force you to find the reason of your symptoms. It could be just an intestines spasm, however it could also be intestines obstruction. So it does not change anything in the mentioned before necessary diagnostic.

Hope this will help.