Full knee replacement problem after surgery, polyethylene chipping off. How to have permanent repair?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Full knee replacement problem after surgery...polyertheren chipping off, how to repair for perment repair?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
After a knee replacement surgery, it is common to have minor problems like pain and swelling which usually subside after regular physiotherapy and a supportive treatment. The chipping off that you have mentioned is not common.
You need to provide me with a few more details so that I can help you better.
1. When did you get your knee replaced?
2. How did you know that something was chipping off?
3. What are your symptoms? Is there any history of injury?
4. Did you have any investigations or treatment till now?
Waiting for your response.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Full knee replacement problem after surgery, polyethylene chipping off. How to have permanent repair? 18 minutes later
Answers to Questions
1. July 5, 2013, DePuy P.F.C Sigma - Fixed Bearing Knee system
2. Swelling in the right knee. Then xrays 1 week ago
the chipping is the Polyethylene section
3. No history, just showed up
4. No issues until the swelling began

Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The chipping that is detected on the x-rays cannot be repaired. It needs a surgical removal of the fragment either arthroscopically or open surgery. The need of surgery depends on the severity of the symptoms that you are having.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Follow-up: Full knee replacement problem after surgery, polyethylene chipping off. How to have permanent repair? 8 hours later
If the chipped off pieces of "Polyethylene" are removed...will I have the full motion and mobility that I would have before the chipping? (If not what should I expect?)

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
If the chipped off pieces are removed and the piece is very small in size then it might not affect you at all. In case it is a bigger fragment then a persistent pain and discomfort may be there.
Regards.