Full feeling in stomach, does not go away after bowel movement, random abdominal pain, dizziness

Hi, I have a "full" feeling in my stomach that doesn't really go away after a bowl movement. Sometimes, I get these awful pains in random places around my abdomen. And then just lately, I have just felt a little "dizzy" and disoriented.
Posted Mon, 24 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The full feeling in the abdomen with intermittent random pains could be due to gas and indigestion. This in mild cases can be managed with dietary and lifestyle changes. Take the following steps to help manage your symptoms:

1. Increase the amount of fluid you drink, especially water. Avoid carbonated drinks and alcoholic beverages.

2. Avoid foods that cause gas, such as beans, broccoli, cabbage, and XXXXXXX The amount of gas that different foods cause varies from person to person.

3. Avoid swallowing air. Swallowing air may increase your symptoms.

4. Eat slowly. Avoid gulping food or beverages. When you rush through meals or eat on the run, you are more likely to swallow air.

5. Chew your food thoroughly before you swallow.

6. Avoid drinking through a straw.

7. Avoid chewing gum or eating hard candy.

8. Do not smoke or use other tobacco products.

9. Keep calm. Tension and anxiety can cause you to swallow air.

Some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus causing belching and bloating. Such food include

1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory based coffee substitutes.

2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts.

3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya.

Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.

1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.

2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow the excessive stomach acid to neutralize. The dizziness you are having could be due to excessive gastric acidity.

3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.