Frothing during sleep, tongue clenched between teeth, wheezing. On sudafed for sinus, histal jus for allergy. Treatment for infection?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My daughter is 7 years old and weighs 55 pounds. I just noticed for the first time froth coming from her mouth while she sleeps. For me this was scary, I wiped the froth and tried to wake her up but she just shove and appears to still be in a XXXXXXX sleep. I also noticed her tongue was clenched between her teeth. how can she breathe comfortably with her tongue clenched between her teeth i asked myself. She breathes very hard and loud while she sleeps this is so loud i can be in the next room and hear her breathing it sounds kind of wheezy and it seemed as if she has cold in her head.

a few days ago she woke up with a lot of mucous in her eyes, as she have the cold i figure more or less this is why. I purchased a eye wash and wash her eyes in the morning now it seemed as if the other eye is infected because now both eyes have yucky looking mucous a lot that it cakes her eyelids together. She also told me that she felt embarrassed because the mucous was XXXXXXX in color. She also complains that her voice is going and she seemed hoarsed.
I think something is going on in her head she even snores from the time she was about 4 years old. The only medication i gave her so far is the sudafed for sinus. I also gave her twice over the period Histal jus in case it is an allergy. I know it is the flu season, also we live in the tropics.

Please help me I am very concern.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Your daughter seems to be suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection. This can cause swelling and thickened mucus mostly yellow or XXXXXXX and it may cause noisy breathing due to infected glands like tonsils or adenoids and increased salivation. The eye infection could have been the source probably.

If you think that tongue bite and frothing was due to seizure, it might be possible but cannot be said for sure as of now without detailed evaluation by her doctor.

You need to consult your pediatrician for starting appropriate antibiotics and anti-inflammatory drugs after confirming the diagnosis.

Please do not worry, it will resolve with appropriate treatment. Meanwhile you should keep her well hydrated and let her do warm saline gargles thrice daily.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.