Ask a Dentist   »  

Frosty color on sides of tongue, red in the center. Feels like burned. Stopped smoking cold turkey.

ENT Specialist
hi, my toung has a frost like color on the sides and the center is red, it also feels like i have burned it for a few weeks. The only change in my lifestyle is i stopped smoking,cold XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later

The redness of the tongue with the frost like or grayish appearance of the sides of the tongue is due to the inflammation involving the tongue following smoking.

Smoking will induce damage to the superficial layer of the tongue (also called as mucosa); if the assault is carried on for a long period, then there is excoriation of this mucosa leading to patchy appearance of the tongue. But, in your case it seems to be the initial stages of the inflammation of the tongue which is also termed as Mucositis. The grayish appearance on the sides of the tongue is because of the impression of the occlusion of the teeth and it is a normal phenomenon in certain individuals.

Both these are relatively harmless and if appropriate intervention is done then, there will be complete healing of the inflamed mucosa.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of water, take plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables and also vitamins, to help in healing of the inflamed mucosa.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon