Ask a Dentist   »  

Frequently getting cavities in teeth, do not eat chocolates. Suggest toothpaste or mouth wash

Dentist, Prosthodontics
very frequently i am getting cavity in my teeth i do not even eat chocolates also can u suguest any tooth past or mouth wash wish i can use to reduce this problem
Posted Tue, 25 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 2 hours later
Thanks for posting your querry.

First, not only cholcolate, but any food high in carbohydrates if stuck in the mouth for a long period of time can lead to cavities. It is also not the duration of eating food but the frequency which usually causes problems with teeth.

There are certain points which i would like to share to help you keep your mouth cavity free:

-Rinse immediately (as early as possible) after eating any food, even if its a snack in between meals.
-Brush twice daily
-Use a tooth paste with fluoride in it as studies prove that fluoride helps in remineralisation resulting in reduction of cavities.
-Use a good mouthwash such as colgate plax, Sflow, Listerine and others with good antibacterial and antifungal activity.
-Use floss regularily.
-Visit your dentist for yearly check ups.
-Scaling and polishing(cleaning of teeth), once/year is highly recommended to keep gums and teeth healthy
-Eat salads and fruits as they have a cleansing effect on teeth.

If required then you can also undergo inoffice fluoride treatment to reduce occurance of cavities in your teeth.

If you have any more question, i will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Frequently getting cavities in teeth, do not eat chocolates. Suggest toothpaste or mouth wash 2 hours later
can u suggest a tooth past also can i use the mouth wash dialy.
i rince my mouth immediatly after having the food.
Answered by Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain 9 hours later

Once again welcome to XXXXXXX

Yes, a mouthwash can be used on a daily basis. There is no harm in a long term usage of a good mild mouthwash, especially if you dilute it by water.

As I mentioned any tooth paste with fluoride will be good such as: Colgate Total, The new pepsodent, Babool. Most of the tooth pastes now a days have fluoride. Please check the ingredients at the back for fluoride content before buying. The aforementioned pastes have good quantity of fluoride.

Hope this answers your query. If there are any more questions, I’ll be happy to help.