Frequent vomiting,no fever,no diarrhea,pedialite,ate fish fingers first time in 3 year old

Hi. My 3 yr old boy started vomiting this morning at school and can hold anything in his stomach. He has trow up three more times in the day and he just vomit again a few minutes ago (12:43am), even the pedialite wont stay in. No fever, no diarrhea and he looks OK. The only weird thing he ate was fish fingers for the first time last night. Should I take him to the ER?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Sheetal 45 minutes later

It is possible that your son may be suffering from food poisoning or food allergy.

Did anyone else eat the fish fingers that your son ate? If yes, are they experiencing any symptoms? -If others who ate the same dish are experiencing similar symptoms, it is most likely to be food poisoning. Food poisoning occurs when you eat food contaminated with microorganisms such as bacteria or viruses.

If others who ate the food are not having similar symptoms, then your son may be allergic to some ingredient in the dish, though usually symptoms of food allergy appear within 4 hours of consumption of the food.

Since he is not able to hold anything in his stomach, I would advise you to take your son to the emergency room (ER) because with persistent vomiting he can become dehydrated which is a serious condition. If your son is unable to take anything orally, he may be given intravenous fluids in the ER to prevent dehydration.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.