Frequent urination,urinary infection,lower abdomen pressure.Prostate exam?

Over the past several months I have needed to use the restroom more often during the night. I've also noticed after peeing and making sure there's nothing left there is still an amount that will come out of my penis causing wetness in my boxers. I'm a 34 year old male. Over the past several days I've had a little discomfort in the tip of my penis. No pain during urination but discomfort after going. I don't have any discharge. This morning I woke up with pressure in my lower abdomen as well as what seems to be my kidneys as my lower back seems to be tight or a little sore. I had unprotected oral sex several weeks ago so I guess my first fear is an STD but at the same time the symptoms seem more like prostititus, baldder infection or something along those lines. I don't want to go to the family physician for an std test but I am going in today to have a prostate exam and to discuss the abdominal and kidney pain. Does this seem more like an std issue or something else? If I get antibiotics for a UTI or prostitues would that clear up clymidia or ghon?
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 19 minutes later

First of all, I must appreciate the way you have analyzed your problem and any doctor will be lucky to have a informed patient like you.

Your perception is right, the symptoms are suggestive of some infective problem and most likely urinary bladder infection and second possibility could be Prostatitis.

Your doctor after complete physical examination can easily exclude any possibility of STDs. He will definitely advise a set of blood counts, urine examination and ultrasound of urinary system along with prostate. This will clear all your doubts.

After diagnosis of infection, if Prostatitis is diagnosed, you may need a course of antibiotics for longer period at times up to 3-4 weeks. There is no reason to worry.

Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea can be covered depending upon the antibiotics used by your doctor. The treatment for both of this is very simple and effective.

Please progress as you have planned and visit your doctor to sort out the issue and have proper diagnosis.

I will talk this opportunity to advise you to refrain from such risky behaviour in future.

I hope this answers your query, I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Frequent urination,urinary infection,lower abdomen pressure.Prostate exam? 29 minutes later
Thank you for your quick response, I really appreciate it. My doc is the doc for the entire family and has been for years. While I know you would certainly advise against it I do not plan to tell the doc about the unprotected oral sex. With the work up you described would an std test be included as a standard measure? If not and I did have an std would the long term antibiotics for prostatitis clear up the std's assuming they are bacterial?

My buddy had the exact same symptoms and was diagnosed with prostatitis but after only a digital prostate exam - no additional work up.

I guess I'm trying to figure out if it's a reasonable assumption it is not an std.

I'm self employed and it's important an std not be reported to my insurance provider due to exceptionally high costs.
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

Urine routine examination for infection will usually not pick up chlamydia or gonorrhea.

The long term antibiotic given for prostatitis will in most of the cases cure this chlamydia also.

From the symptoms it is less likely that you have this infection.

I suggest you go get physically examined by your doctor get it treated if something turns out to be positive.

Do not worry visit your doctor and get treated.